Sunday, December 19, 2010

Final Essay

      This class has been the most interesting class I've taken so far. I've enjoyed working on the computer while taking my own pace. Professor Smith is really great, I would take another class and recommend him to anybody. This class has even made me think about switching majors into the literature field. Throughout this term I have learned to use Wikipedia efficiently. A few English teachers will say "don't use the encyclopedia for research or don't ever use Wikipedia." well they are wrong, if it wasn't for Wikipedia I wouldn't have known what monolythic structure is. If you search for monolythic structure on Google there will only be a Wikipedia website and a yahoo questionnaire. Wikipedia is great for basic understanding on the topic you are writing about. If it wasn't for Wikipedia I wouldn't have been able to finish my project because my project is based on the monolythic structure. The day the professor was explaining the monolythic structure, I was not in class so I used the link that he gave us to see what it was about. The Wikipedia website gave descriptive examples and even a diagram for our understandings. Overall I learned a lot in this class from archetype personalities, to symbols in almost anything we encounter in life. I never knew waving your hand was a symbol of giving a short air hug.
     What I found interesting was Jiwan's blog entry 1.2. As you know, he is Korean but a very spiritual Korean. Most of the Koreans I know believe in god and they don't really believe in spirits. This spirit dokkaebi is very interesting because in the Chinese culture we don't have a spirit who is as playful as dokkaebi. It is true, that many people mistaken ghosts as spirits and are very frighten by the existence of spirits. The way that dokkaebi is described by Jiwan, is a different perspective I have finally encountered. My family believes in spirits which shocked me because a lot of times on television you hear all these scary stories about spirits or ghosts haunting someone. It's nice to know that supposedly there's a nice spirit floating around.

No comments:

Post a Comment